Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Golfing Through School Systems


Welcome to this blog post for my class Par for The Course. This class was based around golfing and seeing how we can golf in creative ways. With this, we’ve had many times in class where we got to create our own golf courses. Some being long, short, or going over certain obstacles. We also went to the Chicago Athletic Association and played golf on virtual screens. This all comes back to our Action Project for this class being to create a golf course that’s based around a certain Sustainable Development Goal. 


56, P. (2008, December 3). School. Flickr. Retrieved November 7, 2022



The Sustainable Development Goal I chose to target was SDG 4, Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all. This connects to my work because my neighborhood doesn’t have a lot of good public schools. Most of the students that I know go to private schools in the area like Delasalle, Urban Prep, or Holy Angels. This is because the funding throughout most schools isn’t fair and is vastly spread out throughout Chicago.


RBL. (2022). Golf Course Pictures


Here’s how it looks built out: 


RBL. (2022). Golf Course Pictures

To begin, the player randomly chooses a pencil from a can. Depending on what color they pick, it will show where they start the course with a sign. I made the par 4 because it might be difficult to complete it in less than 2 or 3 since the stairs have a weird texture. Along with that, there is a hole in one possible, it just depends how the player shoots and how their luck is on the stairs. The course itself can be put up or reconstructed very easily. It mainly comes down to how much space a person might have when setting up and if they have a set of stairs where they are living. At the end of the hole, there’s a QR code that the player can scan before they leave. The QR code leads to an organization named The Chicago Public Education Fund, which helps to fund Chicago public schools that might not get the money from other systems who might need additional funding. When a person finds out about The Fund, they can either donate or promote the fund's message of trying to make a difference in schools.


RBL. (2022). Golf Course Pictures



So I thought of this idea for a couple of reasons, one of them being because the stairs are an obstacle I’ve used in the past. The stairs themselves give a sense of levels when I’m playing which I thought was interesting at least and made me think about school systems. From there, I got the idea to make a course based on school funding and the idea that not all schools are treated and funded the same. As a whole, education is a huge topic that is often overlooked by a lot of people. Making this course hit close home to me because most of the schools I went to didn’t have the greatest funding. Even in my neighborhood, most schools' quality and funding aren’t the greatest. This leads to students either going to college and not doing well, or neglected by underpaid teachers who’ve stopped caring about their job. In comparison to other schools in the city, most are blocked out by selective enrollment or being private to only specific people. This led to me using that idea to have a class system on the course’s starting points. One point being easier to shoot from and therefore having better opportunities. While others were forgotten in the past or closed down due to the lack of funding and support. 

 

In closing, working on this action project was something I enjoyed a lot. As a class, golfing was something that I did in the past so I loved having a class based around playing the sport again. Building the course out idea wise was something that did take time for me to get a final idea, but once I figured it out it was smooth sailing from there. One thing that was difficult for me was trying to see a SDG as a whole that could relate to my course. Working with that state I had made it difficult to lay out an idea. If I were to do this project again, I might consider making a course in a different area targeting a new issue. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of a War about Nazis and how we fit in

This is my final action project for my class, Policy and for my junior year. This unit was split into two unit those being Execute and Judge...