Monday, October 4, 2021

The Biggest arthropod By RBL

The biggest arthropod - The spider crab

                                

For this action project I decided to research the the very creepy Spider crab. 

In Binomial Nomenclature, the spider crab is seen as the Macrocheira kaempferi. I wanted to chose this organism because of it's long legs and because I thought it looked like something that didn't even exist. When I found out that I did still exist I wanted to go straight into researching it. I also wanted to research it because I felt like it looked really unique and I thought it would be good for looking at its taxonomy, morphology, and other unique traits.
 
From my first research I learned that majority of spider crabs live on different Japanese coasts. Under the water most often inhabit the sandy and rocky bottom of the continental shelf and slope and live in the shallow waters as babies and go down to 150 - 600 meters deep as adults. Their diet consists of dead animals and sea plants. Most spider crabs spend their days searching the ocean floors for food and since they can’t swim this process might take a while for them to find it. 

Here's a chart I created to mark all of the spider crab's taxonomy and what traits are needed for an organism to be in each category:




Label 

Taxonomy 

Morphology 

1

Kingdom = Animalia 

This spider crab is a part of the animalia because it is multicellular, eukaryotic and without chlorophyll.

2

Phylum = Malacostraca

The spider crab is a malacostraca because it has a lot of legs and a lot of long body parts making it very unique.

3

Class = Decapoda

The Spider crab has a head, thorax, and abdomen that makes it a part of the decapoda class.

4

Order = Inachidae

The Spider crab is made up of the Inachidae crab family and contains 39 genres of crab families. 

5

Family = Macrocheira

The spider crab is Macrocheira because of its huge legs and smaller claws and because of how deep it lives in the ocean. 

6


Genus = Hyas

Hyas is a genus of a spider crab because of it’s long legs and pie shaped face

7

kaempferi

The spider crab is a Macrocheira kaempferi because of its specific body temperatures living at around the surface where the water is more shallow at depths at 50 meters.  When they get older they move deeper into the ocean to where it can be 300 meters deep.



 After looking up each of these levels of taxonomy I began a outline that I could use to create an bigger exhibit of the spider crab.  

From there I went on the make it into a full exhibit: 


                             

In this exhibit I manage to analyze each taxonomic trait that I put on my outline above. I did get to all of the taxonomic traits but some of them like the class and genus were both really hard for me to analyze.

Organism differences: Spider Crab and Tiger


The spider crab is similar to a tiger because they are both a part of the kingdom animalia. That means that there are both living organisms and they both are multicellular, eukaryotic and without chlorophyll. They also share similar colors in shell and in fur since both are an orange shade. Even though this is true, there’s way more differences between the spider crab and the tiger. For starters the spider crab is an omnivore so they usually eat things like dead animals and sea plants. While the tiger is only a carnivore and only eats different kinds of meat. Another example is class groups and families. The spider crab is a part of the malacostraca class, meaning that it has three main body parts. Those being the head thorax, and abdomen. The difference being with the tiger is that it's a part of the mammalia or mammals class. This means that tigers have 3 middle ear bones, hair, and the production of milk that make the tiger a mammal . There are also a part of different families of organisms as well. spider crab is also part of the inachidae family, but the tiger is a part of the felidae family.  With that we can see that these organisms have way more differences than similarities.   

Heres a ven diagram that compares the two from each other:



Here are some mathematical sets that relate to the spider crab:


Final thoughts:

This action project was related to my class population because we learned a lot about taxonomy and how to categorize different organisms from each other. We also got to go to the Lincoln park zoo where we also got to learn about the behaviors of chimpanzees and I also looked at the different behaviors of a spider crab in my action project as well. From this experience I learned that there are a lot of different organisms in the world and there are many different ways to classify,categorize, and compare them to one another. Thank you for viewing my blog and have a wonderful day.

Sources: 

  • Japanese spider crab, facts and photos. Animals. (n.d.). Retrieved October 4, 2021           https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/facts/japanese-spider-crab. 

  • Hudson, C. (n.d.). What is a spider crab? All Things Nature. Retrieved October 4, 2021

              https://www.allthingsnature.org/what-is-a-spider-crab.htm.

  • Riebel, W. (n.d.). Macrocheira Kaempferi. Animal Diversity Web. Retrieved October 4, 2021, from https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Macrocheira_kaempferi/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of a War about Nazis and how we fit in

This is my final action project for my class, Policy and for my junior year. This unit was split into two unit those being Execute and Judge...