Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Shin Splints and how to treat them


 Treating Shin Splints


"new frisbee wrap" by Phil Denton is marked with CC BY-SA 2.0.

This is my second action project for my class, Cure. Throughout this unit titled Treatment, we’ve been learning about how different treatments work inside of the body. Some of those medications are analgesics, antibiotics, and laxatives. We also learned about the differences between substances, drugs, and medications and why people might take them at one point or the other. We also did an experiment with different antibiotics to see which ones might be the best to fight germs. After the experiment, we went over conic sections and even went to MSI for a heart diagnostic lab. Leading to our action project, we are supposed to research a symptom that might happen in the body and figure out what types of treatments would be best to cure that symptom. I decided to do shin splints as my symptom and wanted to present it through a slideshow. Here’s a link to my slideshow below:

 

Overall, I did enjoy working on this action project because it pushed me to do a lot of interesting learning how different treatments may affect the body in good ways and bad. One of the difficult things about this action project was that sometimes it was very hard to find good information for certain treatments and medications. This caused me to look on more websites besides the first few I researched. If I was to do this project again, I might consider looking into a different symptom to try and get new results.


Sources: 

  • Bone, M. and J. T. (2021, August 29). What ice packs to use for injuries. Cleveland Clinic. Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://health.clevelandclinic.org/does-it-matter-what-type-of-ice-pack-you-use-for-an-injury/ 

  • Do you have a go-to pharmacy? (n.d.). Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://www.goodrx.com/ibuprofen?dosage=800mg&form=tablet&label_override=ibuprofen&quantity=30&sort_type=popularity 

  • Orthoinfo. (2019, August 19). Shin splints - orthoinfo - Aaos. OrthoInfo. Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/shin-splints/ 

  • Mayo Clinic researchers. (2021, October 16). Shin Splints. Mayo Clinic. Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shin-splints/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354110 

  • Wheeler, MD, T. (n.d.). Shin splints: Causes, treatment, recovery, and prevention. WebMD. Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of a War about Nazis and how we fit in

This is my final action project for my class, Policy and for my junior year. This unit was split into two unit those being Execute and Judge...